Turn your telescopes to the skies in the pristine alpine environment in Manning Park!
The Dark Sky in Manning Park offers some of the best stargazing around. With multiple viewing locations and very limited light pollution, the views are incredible.
Check back here frequently to see what events we are adding to our Dark Sky offerings or sign up to our mailing list to hear about it direct to your inbox.
Manning Park Dark Sky – Astronomy Weekend
October 12-14, 2018
Welcome to Manning Park’s first astronomy weekend, featuring workshops, speakers and star-gazing!
Bring your telescope and your astronomy questions for our star experts who will guide you on a tour of the night skies in the pristine alpine environment of Manning Park. Good for beginners and experts.
Two Packages available:
|Lighting Lake Stargazer Package||$25pp||This package gives you a wrist band for free entry to all events of weekend (with exception of Cascade Stargazer Package). It also includes Stargazer Package materials.|
|Family: $75 for 2 adults, 2 kids under 18|
|Cascade Stargazer Package||$45pp||This package includes everything for Lightning Lake Stargazer Package and shuttle bus to Cascade Look-out.|
|Family: $135 for 2 adults, 2 kids under 18|
This event is made possible by the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada – Vancouver Centre. These fine folks are providing their dark sky expertise and telescopes to help you better understand the skies above.
Check out their organization (celebrating 150 years this year) and if you’re interested in the stars, consider a yearly membership!
Recommended Stargazing Locations:
- Windy Joe field: located in the middle of our cabin look to the west of the Resort. This is a very accessible location, although there will be more light in this area as it is around the Resort. Year-Round
- Lightning Lake Day Use: 4km from Manning Park Resort on Gibson Pass Road. Viewing area is located at the far end of the parking lot in the field by the lake.
- Parking: Park in the Day Use parking lot. Year-Round
- Cascade Look-out: 8km on the Blackwall Peak Road. This is a winding mountain road with 1150m elevation gain. Please use caution!
- Parking: Parking lot is at the Look-out. Spring- Fall only
- Sub-alpine Meadows Parking Lot: 16km up Blackwall Peak Road. Road is paved 8km to the Lookout, then is gravel.
- Parking: parking is in the Lower Lot, near the Naturalist hut. Viewing is in the upper parking lot. Walking off the path is prohibited. Spring-Summer only
- There’s lots more for you to discover! Where’s your favourite spot?