Turn your telescopes to the skies in the pristine alpine environment in Manning Park!
The Dark Sky in Manning Park offers some of the best stargazing around. With multiple viewing locations and very limited light pollution, the views are incredible.
Check back here frequently to see what events we are adding to our Dark Sky offerings or sign up to our mailing list to hear about it direct to your inbox.
Manning Park Dark Sky – Astronomy Weekend
Thank you for making Manning Park’s first Dark Sky Event a success!
What an amazing weekend to gather in Manning Park Resort to look at the stars! Thank you to everyone who attended our very first Astronomy Weekend!
The “stars aligned” for incredible clear skies for our Saturday night viewing at Lightning Lake and the Cascade Lookout.
We hope you found awe and wonder from looking up into the night skies, and learned something from the wealth of information provided by the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada!
We are already thinking about next year and talking about ways to make it even better!
Save the date for next year’s event: Tentatively set for October 18-20th, 2019.
Event Feedback Survey
How did you like the weekend?
Please help us improve our events and offerings by answering this quick survey. If you enter your name & email, you will be entered to win a draw for registration into next year’s event!
Winner will be drawn on October 30th, 2018.
This event is made possible by the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada – Vancouver Centre. These fine folks are providing their dark sky expertise and telescopes to help you better understand the skies above.
Check out their organization (celebrating 150 years this year) and if you’re interested in the stars, consider a yearly membership!
Recommended Stargazing Locations:
- Windy Joe field: located in the middle of our cabin loop to the west of the Resort. This is a very accessible location, although there will be more light in this area as it is around the Resort. Year-Round
- Lightning Lake Day Use: 4km from Manning Park Resort on Gibson Pass Road. Viewing area is located at the far end of the parking lot in the field by the lake.
- Parking: Park in the Day Use parking lot. Year-Round
- Cascade Look-out: 8km on the Blackwall Peak Road. This is a winding mountain road with 1150m elevation gain. Please use caution!
- Parking: Parking lot is at the Look-out. Spring- Fall only
- Sub-alpine Meadows Parking Lot: 16km up Blackwall Peak Road. Road is paved 8km to the Lookout, then is gravel.
- Parking: parking is in the Lower Lot, near the Naturalist hut. Viewing is in the upper parking lot. Walking off the path is prohibited. Spring-Summer only
- There’s lots more for you to discover! Where’s your favourite spot?
Manning Park Dark Sky is supported by:
Thank you to the Fraser Valley Regional Library for our Astronomy Weekend, who showcased some telescopes from their Telescope Lending Program on Saturday night with us!
Learn more about the Playground at FVRL, which offers customers of all ages free access to fun and engaging STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) related learning experiences.